Thursday, July 08, 2004

I finally did it

I finally got my act together and invested my tax return. I got the tax return in May. I said then that I was going to invest it so that I didn't end up spending it. Did I do that... no. I used it to pay for random other things like a new pair of goggles, my car, etc. So yesterday I decided...screw it. I am going to invest some from my savings since I have already gone through the actual tax return money.

I have been reading a lot about ETFs (exchange traded funds) lately. About how they are better than an index mutual fund because they don't have costs associated and they can be traded all day instead of just at the end of the day. I figured, what the hell. After reviewing what is in my portfolio I thought there is something missing. Actually, there is quite a lot missing. I needed to round it out. I thought... hmmm... either an energy ETF or a financial ETF. I decided on an energy one... IYE. Their larger investments are ones that I am comfortable with and they have a pretty good record. We'll see how it goes.

Now, it is great that I am investing and all that jazz, but I really need to start a Roth IRA so I don't have to pay taxes on my gains. What better time than now to start it. I am already paying taxes on the money I earn in NZ (and much lower taxes than I pay in the US). I should invest the money I am making here since I can't contribute it to a 401(k) or anything since we don't have one. I have been saving 10% of my gross each paycheck. I should start getting that money transferred over to the US so I can fund a Roth IRA...



On the less serious side of things... I decided not to snowboard this weekend although it would be fun to go to the mountain with Simeon, Daryl, Richard, Richard's sis, Sarah, Gareth... The snow isn't great. The weather should be great...but when the snow is iced over it doesn't make for good riding. Instead, Simon and I are going to do some tramping. We are gonna leave after work tonight and go up to Auckland to see "Super Size Me" at the film festival with Erez, then drive to Whangamata after that and stay at Mel's parents house. From there we plan to head up Coromandel in the morning to do a tramp, then back to Whangamata. On Sunday, head back up Coromandel to hit up another tramp, then back to Hamilton... Another full weekend!

No comments: