Sunday, July 04, 2004

What a 4th of July weekend

This weekend rocked. It started out slow. I went to Simon's house a little after work and since I was going up to Auckland to go to the bank and stuff, we decided to hit up the Waitakere Range for some tramping out in West Auckland.

We get up to Auckland and the bank is closed on Saturdays... Bummer. Simon and I get lost for a long time trying to get out to West Auckland... Bummer. We finally find the track and start hiking at noon. Wrong track... Bummer. We find the right track and it is in a cow paddock... Bummer. It soon starts getting really steep. We have no views for about 2 hours. Finally we cross the road and realize that we are going to have amazing views over Manakau Harbour. We walk along a ridge for about two hours taking in the views and finish the loop track back at the car.


We head home and the trip is a success even after the suck start. After we get cleaned up, I went and did some grocery shopping, then over to Simon's again for Sam Lear's 21st birthday party. It is great to see Sam, he is super shaggy now...


Maryjane and Manny showed up too! It was awesome to see them. I have to try to hang out with them more.


Richard and I were planning to hit the snow in the morning if the mountain would be open. Melissa called and said that there were people trapped on the mountain because of blizzard conditions and all this stuff. Richard and I pretty much decided we were not going.

In the morning, I got up at 5am and came to work to check on the internet if the mountain was gonna open. I didn't think so, so I went home and went to bed. About 7:30 Ben called from Taupo. He said there was over a half meter of freshies from Saturday night. I got my stuff together as fast as possible and went and woke up Richard. We took off about 8:30. When we got to National Park Village, we could see the snow. It was right down into the village!


We got to the mountain about 11:30 and rode until closing... Unbelieveable conditions. Then we came home and I crashed for the night.

No comments: