Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Once again, at work, but ready to leave

Current music: Ben Folds Five - Jackson Cannery

Last night I just chilled out and read my book. Well, Aimee's book that I am borrowing: Live Bait by P.J. Tracy. Good so far. I am flying through it. Oh, of course I watched some Bro Town last night too. Great show.

So... I am heading to Southeast Asia for a few months after I leave NZ. I want people to go with me. It would be fun to have a travel companion. I talked to Meghan about it a while ago, but I have my doubts about her actually coming. I should write her an email to see if she is still serious or what. Even if she does come she wouldn't be there until June and I plan to get there in early May. I have been talking to Lori about it heaps. I think she might be serious about going. Could be really awesome to travel with her. However, I am unclear if she really means that she is going to go or not. I wish people would just commit to something and do it instead of saying they will just because it sounds like a good idea, but not ever really committing to it mentally or financially. I realize I will probably end up going alone and that will rock too. It sucks getting your hopes up about people coming to visit and stuff, just for them to tell you they aren't gonna make it.

I talked to my tax guy today. He is going to start looking into NZ tax laws and agreements with the US. I need to talk to our company lawyer about how we are connected to our US sister company. I might get some significant tax breaks because of that... Hmmm... I also talked with him about my retirement accounts. It looks like I am not going to be able to put money into a Traditional IRA this year because it would just make things a bit crazy with my taxes. I have quite a bit ready to put into an account and I want to do it before the end of the tax year, so I think I will open a Roth IRA and put it there. Won't get tax breaks with the Roth, but it will be nice in the future... Now I just have to get in touch with my brokerage about that. Ugh. I hate having to do stuff like this from overseas. Just complicates everything.

No comments: