Friday, April 30, 2004

Made it to Queenstown and I have some time

Current music: Music in an internet cafe

I know I said there wouldn't be any posts for a while, but I am in Queenstown and I don't have anything to do for the night so I stopped in to an internet cafe and figured I would let everyone know what is up...

Yesterday I caught a bus to Auckland and Ben met me at the bus terminal in his parents sweet soccer-mom van/car thing. He needed to check his email so we went to IEP and he plugged in his laptop to their network. We went to the guitar shop and met one of his old friends who is now drumming for the Bleeders. After that we went over to Bubba's and he took us to this incredible Thai restaurant called Thai House. Supposedly the best Thai place in NZ and I believe it. A few people met us there then we went to some bar to meet up with some tour manager dude. Hanging out with Ben made me realize how much I miss my friends back in Buffalo. It was really good to see him and hear him quote Brickey... "Hardcore is like Easter Bunny or Santa Clause, you believe in it when you are young, but when you grow up you realize it doesn't really exist."

I stayed at Bubba's for the night then caught the bus into Auckland with him this morning then got the AirBus to the the airport. After I checked in I went up and sat down at the gate and there was a girl sitting there with some newspapers beside her. I asked if they were hers and if I could have a read and she responded with an American accent. I asked where she was from and stuff and we got to talking. She was also heading down to Queenstown, but didn't really have any plans once she was here. I told her what I was doing and she said that she was looking into doing some tramps as well but she didn't really know much about what to do. I said that she was welcome to come with me if she wanted. She said, "Sure, my name is Jess!" and stuck out her hand to shake. Haha. It was pretty funny.

When we got into Queenstown she dropped her stuff off at her hostel and met me at mine since mine is more central. We got out hut passes and transport to and from the track then went grocery shopping. Right now I have all the food and she has all the tickets for huts and transport. I guess that way neither of us can lose the other...

We catch the bus up to Glenorchy for the start of the track tomorrow morning at 8. Can't wait... Here is a link to the some pictures of this tramp... http://www.tramper.co.nz/index.cfm/action/TrackGallery/trackid/52/

I will be posting my pictures when I get back... I expect some emails while I am gone since tomorrow is my birthday and all... Punks.

No comments: