Sunday, November 28, 2004

Wow, that was a weekend

This weekend was one of the best non-tramping weekends I think I have ever had. Just as things started to look like they might take a turn for the worse at the end, they got better still. Weekends like this one make me want to stay in NZ for good.

Friday was Agi Graham's art show at the Art Post in town. Agi is my CTO, Ian's wife. She had some excellent oil and water paintings. I would love to purchase one, but they are expensive and I don't know how I would get it home to the States, if I ever go (see above). After that we went out for dinner at Sohl and then to Jo's 21st. Jo is our new office manager at work and whoa, she has a crazy side. At about quarter to 12 we left to go to the Rocky Horror Hamilton show. I guess the guy who wrote Rocky Horror Picture Show used to live in Hamilton, NZ and used to frequent a theatre here that gave him the inspiration to write it. They unveiled a pretty big statue of Riff Raff after putting on a live show right in the middle of Victoria St. Good times that night.


I got up early on Saturday morning and packed up my stuff to go to Whangamata for Mel and Ben's wedding. I got over there in the early afternoon and we hung out for a while then hit up the wedding. It was a fun time. The ceremony was great. Matt sang a Van Morrison song at it.
The newly weds leaving the church:


Then on to the reception afterwards. There were some fun new people to meet there and we partied it up. It was good to hang out with Hamish and Amanda again. I realized what great people they are and I was starting to wish that I had never moved out of their flat. It crossed my mind a few times that I should move back in there, but I don't know how to come to ask after leaving them so abruptly the first time. After the reception we went to town and kept it alive until the pubs closed.
Ben and Mel at the reception:


More photos from the wedding here.

Sunday we all got up and went to the boat club in Whanga for brunch. An excellent meal and great to have some final words with Ben and Mel before they leave. I went back with Ben and Mel to the place Ben's family was staying at then over to Mel's parents.
This is the view from the place Ben's family was staying in Whangamata:


Then we all headed out to Auckland to the airport to see them off. Everyone was crying and stuff as they left on their honeymoon to Fiji, then on to the States to live and work in Vail for a while before they travel and work in the UK and Europe.
Here is a shot of them in the airport after they had gone through customs. We could see them downstairs and we talked to them on the phone for the last time before they left:


Everyone is happy and exicted for them and I am sure they are going to have a great time on their travels. I can't wait to see them in the future. I am sure our paths will cross more! I can't believe their wedding came so fast and now they are gone. It seems like I have known them for years, but really we just met about 7 months ago. I loved living with them and I feel really priviledged to meet such fantastic people. Damn, this is bringing me to tears. I love the two of them and can't wait to see them again.

I drove home from Auckland and stopped by Sarah and Gareth's place and had a yawn to them about the wedding and stuff. They were up in Whitianga and Hot Water Beach for a party this weekend too... When I got home Jeremy was like, hey, come in here for a minute. So I go in the lounge and he breathed real heavy and say, "I am gonna have to ask you to move out." We had a little chat and he says there is nothing specifically that I have done wrong, but sometimes people don't get along. Ha! Brooke is such a pansy... Makes Jeremy do her dirty work. Well, I will have a chat with her tomorrow I think. I just need to find the words... This is where I thought the weekend was gonna start going downhill. Jeremy said that he would give me two weeks to move out. I was kinda surprised by that. That seems like a pretty short amount of time. So I figured there is no better time to call Hamish and Amanda than now. So I rang them and talked to Hamish. He said he would talk to the girls and see what they reckon. He called me back in about 2 minutes and said that they would love to have me come back and it is Jo's (different than the one whose party I went to Friday) birthday next weekend and she wants to make it a "Happy Birthday Jo/Welcome Back Lenny" party. I was so stoked with that, I know that I will enjoy living with them again. So I am going to move out of here this coming weekend and leave them high and dry for a week's rent I think. Otherwise, if they want the whole two weeks rent, I will stay out the two weeks just to piss off Brooke. Good times.

This weekend really couldn't be better. I am loving everything about it except that Ben and Mel are gone and I am not going to see them for a long while.

Update:I talked to Jeremy and he wants me to stay for the whole two weeks because they need the money, but if I want to move out sooner they won't ask for the rent for the weeks I am not there. I am gone this weekend.

No comments: