Saturday, December 18, 2004

Damn weather

This is two weekend in a row that the weather has sucked so much that I couldn't accomplish any tramping. This morning the weather looked decent so I took off for Mt. Te Aroha. As per Ben's recommendation, I went to the Wairongomai Valley to start the tramp instead of the main track from the town.

It was hailing really bad before I even got there. The hailstones were about the diameter of a dime. After I drove through the Te Aroha township it let up and was sunny. So I figured I would set off and if things got bad I could always turn around. By the time I got to the Buck Rock track intersection with the High Pack Track the wind had picked up and it looked like some nasty weather was coming from the south.

I went up to the top of Buck Rock. After that I just went back to the car and came back to Hamilton. I didn't want to battle the nastiness up there... Here is a shot looking out over a slice of Buck Rock towards the Waikato:

No comments: