Friday, December 12, 2003

Geek talk follows

Current music: Karate - Airport

Ok, if you are not a geek please ignore this post.

I have installed Libranet 2.8.1 on my new Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop and here are the issues I am still having. I downloaded and compiled 2.6.0-test11 and am running it. Nice because it has the b44 driver for the Broadcom ethernet chip. ALSA works, but I can't get multiple audio streams at the same time. My mouse touchpad was working fine until I decided to upgrade to Debian Unstable. It reinstalled Grub and screwed up my bootloader. I had to go in and modify the XF86config-4 file to use the correct mouse driver. It is working better now, but now I can't use it for tap-to-click. There is a website about using the Synaptic Driver which should be installed in this 2.6 kernel. I can't get it working yet and it was after midnight last night so I finally gave up. I will work on it again when I get home.

Stuff I have yet to get working and haven't really tried is ACPI. Supposedly it half works on the latest BIOS (which I have). I also want to get a USB mouse working along with the mouse touchpad. My wireless card I haven't even plugged in yet. I need to take it someplace that I can do some testing since I don't have an access point. I will probably go over to Kris and Tim's.

For the most part things have gone smooth. My USB CF reader that didn't work with the 2.4 kernel works with 2.6 so that is pretty sweet. Supposedly it is difficult to set up the display, but I didn't have much problem. The ALSA stuff has so far been the most difficult. I have never really had it working correctly on any machine. Now I have it installed and working, but I just need to get it to handle multiple streams. Almost there.

No comments: